For many businesses, establishing an online presence may seem like a tall task and some may find it unnecessary depending on their product or offering. However, once businesses realize how impactful a solid online presence can be to their marketing, they are usually quick to implement some of these practices into their overall strategy.
An online presence can be defined by how easy it is to find a brand or company online. It’s important for building your brand’s reputation, increasing brand awareness, creating credibility as an industry leader, and providing visibility to your products or services when users are online searching for solutions.
Creating quality content that appeals to your target market is the key to success. Using resources like websites, social media platforms, blogs, and SEO best practices, can help make building an online presence a bit easier. With that said, here are five tips along with some insight on how to get started with improving the online presence for your company or business.
- Create a Website – this may seem like an obvious place to start for many, but there are some small businesses that rely solely on social media pages in place of a website. Creating a website for your business lends credibility and gives a central hub to the customer to be able to see you 24/7. Having your own site also allows for online growth opportunity and it sets you apart from your competition. Another advantage is SEO and online advertising, which are a great way to help build awareness and increase traffic to your website. Free website builders like WordPress, Wix, and Squarespace are available to help you get started.
- SEO Best Practices – by following the best practices for search engine optimization you can increase the organic discovery and traffic for your website. An effective SEO strategy can help you deliver the content on your site to your audience as they search online. SEO provides 24/7 promotion and visibility for your business. Results can take time as SEO is more of a long-term strategy. However, it’s the quality of the results that can really make an impact. For example, if your page ranks on page one of a particular search, that user is more likely to take an action with your site receiving increased traffic.
- Create a Blog – if creating content for your audience is the key, then having a relevant blog is a must. A blog can establish your business as an industry leader by providing something of value to the consumer. How-to guides, lists, interviews, product reviews, case studies, and videos are just a few of the more common blog formats that can be used. Adding a blog into your strategy can offer benefits like an increase in organic web traffic and content that can be shared easily on social media. Companies that maintain a blog produce an average of 68% more leads per month than companies who don’t blog. Enough said!
- Be Active on Social Media Platforms – having a number of social media pages across the different platforms will certainly be to your benefit, but it is also important to go where your customers are. These days, just about every business has a Facebook page and that’s great but working that in with some of the other platforms can really set you apart. Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat are great places to display new product images, post video content, and stay engaged with your audience. YouTube can be the perfect place for a video blog or more in-depth videos about your business. Let’s not forget Twitter, which is a real-time platform perfect for trending stories and the latest news and updates related to your business. Again, it is important to determine where your customers are and be active on those platforms. Your social media pages may be the first place a user goes to learn more about your company. So, being on social media is an absolute necessity in today’s world.
- Create Valuable Content – creating good relevant content can provide your business with more organic traffic and increased customer conversions. It will set your company apart as an authority in your particular field which creates trust and ultimately leads to expanded brand awareness. The goal is to attract customers and keep them interested in your brand or business. It’s all about providing users with original content that is informative and useful. Remember to clearly define who you’re trying to reach, how you will reach them, what types of content you will create, and how you will measure the results.
These days most companies have a social media manager on staff or someone who handles their digital marketing strategy. The important thing for them to remember is to stay up to date on the best practices across this ever-changing medium. Here at A3 Media we believe it’s a multi-layered media approach that is always going to service your business best. Improving your online presence is just one piece of the puzzle.
It’s all about reaching your audience and letting them know you have what they are looking for and you may even convince them you have what they didn’t know they were looking for.
Social Media Specialist
Everyone who wants to start their own business, knows that a website is very important when it comes to getting their brand out there on the web. With so many website builders out there, many people find a tutorial or two online, build their site, and there you have it, but is it really that easy for just anyone to build a WordPress website? Does a person have to have a background in code development to successfully build a WordPress website, and not worry about it breaking?
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a content management system, or CMS for short, that helps bloggers and webmasters edit content on a regular basis without the need to use a traditional HTML editor software.Kinsta
This sounds easy right? It can seem very straight forward. You get your WordPress website up and running with the perfect theme, download a ton of plugins that make your site look cool, and send all your clients to your website. While having a background in web development, I have a ton of my entrepreneur friends who have created their website using the WordPress platform, and always ask me questions when something goes terribly wrong. The first question I ask is, “Did you keep your backend updated on a weekly basis?” You can almost guess the answer is always, “No!”
When building a WordPress website, you must keep in mind that WordPress always has major updates to their software. Your theme will need to be updated from time to time, and your plugins need to be updated on we weekly basis. If you ignore updating your backend, you can risk your site breaking and not being viewable by your clients. With so many major updates, WordPress theme and code developers can introduce new features, security, and big fixes to backend code that will keep your website up to date.
Let’s say you install WordPress 5.0 and miss important updates 6.0 – 8.0, and your site plugins stop working because those plugins were supposed to be updated with every major WordPress update. I have even run into some sites where the person would keep the WordPress backend software updated but forgot to update the plugins. In result of this, after updating the plugins all at once, the site broke. To resolve this issue, we had to deactivate each plugin to see which plugin was no longer compatible with their WordPress theme.
Once we found the plugin, we had to find another plugin that literally did the same functionality to replace the bad plugin that would no longer work, and also go through the 30-page website and delete all the old short code. During this trouble shooting, there was one time the site completely went offline, and we could not login through the browser. My friend had no knowledge of how to get to her website’s server and would have been out of luck if she had no help. I literally had to go to the hosting server and find the website’s theme folder, then delete one plugin folder at a time and refresh the site after each deletion. Her website finally came back online after doing this final troubleshoot.
At A3 Media, we take the time to make sure all plugins are up to date on a weekly basis, and all WordPress system software updates are checked daily to avoid the inevitable. We know the importance of making sure our background code and system are always healthy. We can always assure that our clients are able to simply go to our site for all of their business needs. Using WordPress has made it easy for our company to manage content keeping all of the latest media trends updated throughout our sites. Multiple people from our team are able login to the backend and manage the content, while our developer can make sure everything from the WordPress theme, software, and plugins are always up to date.
Digital Media & Graphic Designer